04 February 2016

Pebbles

One blog that I follow is Fan My Flame, authored by Gina Ferrari.  In a recent post she had a go at a technique called Posh Pebbles by another textile artist Alexandra Waylett, in an issue of Stitch magazine.  I have a copy of that and decided to have a go too.  By the way, Gina also does a lot of cakes so you if you visit her blog there are some recipes there too.

For my first sample I dug into my stash of fancy fabrics, velvets, silks, satin, using a purple felt base with a layer of lace and tulle. Here's my attempt.
Circles of fancy fabrics were trapped under tulle and after stitching the tulle was cut away revealing the circles which are raised.  More stitching was added. This square was about 7" square.

I really enjoyed this so I thought this would be good as another journal quilt.  I'm really liking the size of these small quilts 8" X 10" are a great size for trying something different.  This time I used a multi coloured felt and used lace to cover the fabric shapes. I also stitched small circles and cut away the lace so some of the background felt showed through.  So this is the result.
I've trimmed this with strips of lace.  I think some shapes need more embellishment, but I'm quite pleased with the effect so far.


Both journal quilt and sample together. 

Want to see the backs? Why not..
It's firm iron on Vilene on the back of the felt. 



3 comments:

  1. These are gorgeous! I've just found your blog and love your quilts and journal covers, I'll be back again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! I've just found your blog and love your quilts and journal covers, I'll be back again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great, I haven't seen this technique before,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts