23 November 2018

November Catch Up

This month whizzes by with a round of birthday gatherings and getting out and about.  November sees my Mum, David and I all having birthdays and next month David and I are away on a cruise so we are gearing up for that.

I went for the first time to West Country Embroiderers' local group who meet at Corfe Mullen.  We were shown how to make Dorset Buttons, by Anna from Henry's Buttons and make Christmas themed ones with glittery thread and ribbons.  Here's my attempt.


A sideways view of the buttons the top one is a traditional one with the addition of narrow ribbon for extra decoration to the cartwheel and for the trim.  The bottom one is a Christmas tree, though I had a job trying to stitch French Knots as they kept pulling though to the wrong side so made small stitches instead.  It was an enjoyable day and I think a few more may be made some time soon...

I have just finished the hexagons on my Kingfisher Quilt and in the process of joining the blocks together.  It's taken 46 diamond blocks of hexies and it has been lovely to have this bit of slow stitching sewing the hexies together and appliquéing them onto their backgrounds that I'm going to have to find more hand stitching now, but that might wait until the new year.  Here's the progress so far

 A pile of diamonds
 The last two hexies to be sewn onto their backgrounds
 Arranged on the floor of my room ready to be sewn
Joining the strips together - just over halfway through

I spent Monday piecing the blocks together but have left at this point.  I hope to have the time on Sunday to join it all up and trim the edges.  I have bought a half metre of neutral fabric to put a thin border and will make the decision about what other border/s to put on this.  Quilting and finishing will probably be in the New Year.  So this will go on my self imposed Finish A Long for next year. I love how this is looking and serendipity of the blocks.  When laying out I didn't think much about what goes with what but just went for it and I love it.

Another finish has been this, a small hexie Table mat for Christmas.  I took part in a Christmas Hexie swap two years ago!!!  I don't know why it took me so long to get there, but it has.  Don't look at the wonky stitching it could have been better, but its a finish.

I hope to do a catch up next week before going away.  Have a good, creative weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts