05 November 2011

Autumn Colours and a Dresden Plate

As Autumn progresses, last weekend in the UK the clocks went back an hour from British Summer time to GMT.  On Wednesday, my day off I went out photograph the autumn trees at a nearby lake, Hatch Pond.  Where we live is just a few minutes walk from there and on the edge of an industrial estate.  Two sides of the pond are inaccessible as it is a nature reserve but the other two sides have roads running alongside and on my way to work I've seen the lovely colours.

 The family of swans seem to think that I may have some food for them (I didn't though). I moved away quick
 Just a hint of the industrial estate with the building in the centre background.  To the right is a group of silver birch trees
  This is what I wanted to get the autumn colours of the trees.  The water is very still here.

I have not neglected my sewing (or knitting - I've been doing some of that in the evenings).  The Bourne Quilters have decided to do a block of the month, a Dresden Plate sampler from an article in Popular Patchwork by Nikki Tinkler from a few years back.  Last Sunday was grim so I set to.


 These "blades" look almost like little coffins (it was the day before Hallowe'en!)
 But I soon got them stitched up, now it looks more like Dresden Plate
And here is the block tacked onto the backing ready to be hand sewn.

There are a total of six varieties of blocks which will carry on into next year.

I've also got a postcard to show from the birthday swap which I sent to Jacquie, which I made ages ago, but could show until now as her birthday was week before last. Jacquie requested Cats for her birthday postcards and here are some really cheery ones.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely Dresden plate - it never occurred o me that they were then appliqued, I thought you had to build up using inset seams etc. Is that freezer paper you are using?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts