08 April 2018

Changes..

It is so easy to be taken in by social media, one thing leads to another and another path is taken.  This time its embroidery, which I do dabble in now and again and when I saw the Good Intentions SAL (Sew A Long) by @chrissie_crafts and seen her video tutorials on You Tube I joined in.


It was to have a word or words of what your intentions would be this year and I decided on the word Changes.. , reasons of which I will go into later.  It was a few weeks into the SAL so I did several of the techniques in one afternoon!

The stitches used so far were backstitch, couching (the brown twiggy wreath), fly stitch for the leaves, woven wheel for the flowers.

There were some lazy daisy stitches for the small leaves and flowers, then a few French knots in flower colour thread and also in the word too.  This was all done just before and around the Easter break, then I bought some felt to back the embroidery after finishing off and trimming the fabric.  I used a light beige Grunge fabric by Moda, which has a mottled effect and sets off the colours well.


If you'd like to see what others have made go and have a look here

As for Changes, well this has been and will continue to be a changeable year so the word seemed appropriate to me. I took the decision to retire at the end of last year.  I am 62 and of an age when women of around my age had found their State Retirement Age was increased from 60 to 65, then again to 66,  but I am lucky enough to have a small Local Government pension and also saved to enable me to retire earlier.  I gave my notice in January to work 4 months so I will finish work in three weeks time at the end of April.

In January my Dad became ill and died just the day before his 95th birthday, so that was the first of the changes that have come this year. My Mum seems to be coping well but there are things that still need sorting out.

My sister, her husband and son are hoping to move down to Dorset from Berkshire. They have found a bungalow that they like and the legal stuff for the sale is going ok but the purchase looks not to be so it could be a little while before they move, but we hope not. So that is another change.

My daughter Sarah (she was married last September, see here) is expecting her first baby in July and after a gap of 8.5 years since the last grandchild this will be grandchild no. 5.  She will be starting her maternity leave at the end of May so the changes continue.

I'm hoping that going forward that David and I have time to do more things together as well as our own interests.  Changes is just a reminder of what this year will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts