30 June 2018

One or Two Finishes and Other Bits

Now at the end of June and in some ways seems to have gone in a flash and others feels a long month (I think that could be money).  Last Saturday I went on a coach trip to Sandown for the National Quilt Championships, more of that later, following that a return trip to Bletchley Park. On our return I have been helping Sarah with new baby Florence as her husband returned to work after his leave.

First I have two finishes - one is in the bag as I can't show just yet, but will do next month.
I've also finished my socks

These are Hermione's Everyday Socks pattern by Erica Lueder, knitted in hand dyed yarn from Truly Hooked in Summer Haze colour way, which was yarn used in a subscription box of that there were spare skeins of.

There hasn't been must sewing going on as its been a busy week, but with the sunny weather the sun hat shown in my last post has come in really useful with outdoor walks at Bletchley Park on Sunday followed by visits to Nuffield Place and Cliveden (both National Trust places) on our return home on Monday.  I will follow on with another post about these places.

Although enjoying the coach trip to Sundown last Saturday, I think I wasn't the only one that felt some disappointment with the show.  It has shrunk so much over the years and there was room around the traders, none seemed too busy.  The championship quilt was a lovely whole cloth long arm quilted by Lynda Jackson.  This is not the most flattering picture that I took of this, bust as you can see there are coloured threads which enhance the quilt design on a silver grey fabric.
This time there was a lot showcased by long arm quilters which is good in a way as it shows what can be done with these machines and the cost and effort to perfect their craft they have to build a business to make their investments pay.  However there wasn't many other quilts of other varieties to make one inspired.  Or has the Festival of Quilts taken away to the extent that people will enter that and not other shows?

There were some displays like that of Gillian Travis and her display entitled 'Journeys in Stitch'.  Her work is so bright and varied and really illustrates the feel of the countries she has visited.  I remember when I did a workshop at Pauline's Patchworks two or three years back that she started work on a coconut seller on his bike.

Below are just a few of her quilts.
Another display was from Mike and Greta Fitchett, both quilt makers with very different styles.  Like Gillian's quilts these were a collection, not part of the competition quilts.

This was Greta's take on Birmingham New Street station which has a viewing area to see the trains


I quite like the distortion of the image reflected on glass buildings

and Mike's view of The Shambles, York, which has the styling of railway posters


Another quilt that I liked was the really embellished one, this was a competition quilt, by Frieda Oxenham.  I like all the colours, beads and sequins, which actually belong in the quilt instead of being an add on.


I did buy some fabric but I set myself a budget and came home with a bit of change, so pleased with myself.  I think I can even see a quilt coming out of what I bought.  The green and purple fabric will make a skirt, which I hope to have time for next week.


When we arrived I saw a Lego sculpture of a lion and I thought I'd take a photo on the way out, but in the meantime the lion was replaced with this


You can just see the baby penguin at its feet!

One good thing that I always enjoy at Sundown is sitting in the grandstand for lunch.  Views across the racecourse to planes, trains and other things going on and trying to make out the landmarks as you look across to London.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts