16 February 2020

Mid February

I may not have posted for a couple of weeks but that doesn't mean I've not been busy!  Last Saturday I went to a local Project Linus Day and made a small quilt and the top of another to complete at home during the week.  Packs are made up with pieces of fabric and a pattern, together with strips for the binding.  Instead of wadding and backing just soft fleece fabric is used to make the quilts cuddly but light at the same time.

The second quilt had smaller framed squares and large squares alternated in this cheerful farm fabric. I found that I had a green stripe fabric that went well as a binding.
The pack I took home had the same design but in handbag and hat fabrics with a lovely purple print to match. I found a light purple batik that did well as a binding

I didn't have any fleece so I went to Seahorse Quilting to get this cute hedgehog one, which went really well.
I took this to a social sewing day yesterday to finish slip stitching the binding. So that's three quilts to Project Linus.

I've also done my bit for Siblings Together, with the block bee Mama's request for cross blocks, which was really quick and easy to do.  They've now been received.



As a change from sewing I went to West Country Embroiders and tutor Salliann taught Kumihimo braiding.  I had a go at this years ago and even had a disc for the threads, but it was fun to try this out again.




This pic was taken back in my room when I tried out some dk cotton yarn, but originally I did braiding with a single strand of Perle thread which was really skinny. But realising that I had to double up the threads or work with thicker ones would produce a better effect.  Above are my samples.  My thinking is that if I put thread a small ring through the yarns I might be able to join a split ring to made a key ring, which could be useful.  See how that goes.

Earlier this month I received a copy of The Townswoman magazine for TG members.  I was at one of the carol services in December in which I was one of the stewards.  The pic appeared on the TG Facebook page after the service took place. I'm on the right of the pic, along with my fellow Canford Heath group members.



This month I treated myself to a book purchase to make up an Amazon order as I had to replace a cover for my iPad.  Oh dear! In my defence I hadn't purchase any craft items at all this year other than to finish off things so I don't feel guilty about this at all.

I'd been thinking of getting a Zakka themed book and this spoke to me and I had it on my wish list for a while.  It is good for small items that might be good as presents during the year.  This is by Minki Kim .


1 comment:

  1. I love your baby quilts - especially the farm one. They will be very gratefully received :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts