02 April 2020

March's Furtling

March started busy and ended up a bit blurgh as I can't seem to settle to anything. Doing a bit of this and that to keep my mind off things as much as I can.

In my last post there was a trip to Kent, which is here and a start of a new pair of socks, which is still first sock in progress - half way down the foot.  My standard go to pattern is Hermione's Everyday Sock by Erica Leuder although I may not necessary use the stitch pattern, but I like the Eye of Partridge heel turn on this.  I decided to do a rib pattern so its a skinnier sock than usual.  I used Crafternoon Treats yarn in Pistachio and my seemingly endless ball of West Yorkshire Spinners turquoise yarn for the cuff, heel and maybe toes (when I get there).

My cardigan, which I hoped to have finished has stalled as I try picking up the stitches for the front and keep getting the stitch count wrong, so that's pushed aside for the moment.
For sewing I made a Project Linus Quilt from a fabric pack I picked up to make a Disappearing Nine Patch quilt.  I bought the fleece just before the lockdown and it was end of a bolt too, so that was lucky.  This must be aimed at an older child as this was the biggest PL quilt I've sewn at 54" square.  Not sure when our local PL co-ordinators are going to get it, but it's packed in a bag ready.



I've made good progress on my mini quilt as there are now 7 half squares around the edge (though there are 6 in the photo below. Just the eighth to do now and a decision about how I 'square off' the quilt to to make into a mini quilt.  I had thought of not making it a quilt at all but to put into a square picture frame - any ideas??


One afternoon I got fed up with my knitting needles being in a utensil pot so I made a cover for it with strips of fabric from my scraps.  Fits like a glove and brightens up the yarn corner, see the before and after pics.


Another couple of small items I've made have been a small pouch from some hexies, so good to make something use out of them.  More about that here along with a fabric twine bowl that was also made this month.





I've been enjoying some embroidery recently, as I learnt about stump work, not as tricky as I thought, and made this little scissor case with seahorse at West Country Embroiderers.  I got in the groove and got the seahorse finished and scissor case done the next day!  One less UFO.  Perhaps small projects are the way to go at the moment.

Another bit of embroidery I've got into is #sew4thesoulhannemade which is a good pick up/put down project to do when I feel like it.  It is a long strip of wadding (I used a trimmed off piece from some quilting) and added fabrics pieces and stitches.


Some of the sewing last week was also taken up with plane spotting.  Apparently as main airports are closing Bournemouth Airport has become one of the local airports to park the planes that won't be going anywhere for a while.   Views from the sewing room window.

And below is a Jumbo Jet - I remember seeing those flying out from Heathrow Airport and looking as though they hung in the air back in the seventies.  They still look too heavy to go in the air, all these years later!  But I think there won't be any more planes coming in to land now, the skies are all quiet.

 So that was my March Furtle.  Joining in with Mini Archie's Furtle Around the Blogosphere.



Archie The Wonder Dog



3 comments:

  1. I understand not feeling able to settle into a bigger project at the moment. You've made lots of cool small projects, though. I admit to saving my batting offcuts to piece into bigger bits for my small quilts, so the idea of working on a strip as you've done has never occurred to me, but now that it has, I'll go look at that hashtag. ☺️
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, have found it difficult to settle into bigger projects and have found myself tinkering round the edges of things. I love the seahorse scissor pouch (I must admit to looking for it on this post a few times before I did the sensible thing and followed the link!) and the hexy pouch and the Linus quilt - hooray for finishes! *waves pompoms* As for the picking up of stitches on the cardi, may I suggest putting stitch markers at regular intervals along the band (once you've worked out how many stitches per two inches or something) and then you can pick up the correct number of stitches after the previous marker, transfer the marker to your needle (to help with easy counting) and then picking up the next lot? It might be easier than picking up a few hundred between one edge and the other with nothing to aim for in between...

    Thanks for furtling!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. As for framing the mini quilt, Florence Knapp has framed quite a few of hers and she has some blog posts about them on her blog: http://flossieteacakes.blogspot.com/ and here's a post she wrote about framing EPP: http://flossieteacakes.blogspot.com/2015/02/how-to-frame-english-paper-piecing-and.html Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts