28 July 2021

Teeny Tiny

 In recent weeks I’ve joined a Townswomens Guild internet group to make ATCs - or Artist Trading Cards.  They are multi media cards, not necessarily card making, and at 2.5” wide and 3.5” high they are about the size of a business card, so a lot smaller than a postcard.

The cards are sent to the coordinator of the group, who photographs them so there’s presentation slides during the Zoom meeting, then swapped and sent out. There are different themes of cards each month.

For my part I make two each month, one to keep and one to send. This one below was June’s, the theme being Red, White and Blue.  I decided to make a sea themed card.

I used fabrics, like I would for a postcard, with hand stamped lettering on card.  Below is the card I received from Trish, which are embroidered wheels, sewn onto felt and mounted onto card.

July’s theme was “Summer” and all I could think of was ice cream. Well if it’s hot and sunny and you’re out and about of course you need an ice cream.

This was a card and the background is spotted paper from a pad of papers.  I painted the cone and the ice cream separately then cut out the shapes.  I used some glitter glue on the ice cream for sprinkles.  I also had a little bit of prose (I wouldn’t call it a poem, some might) and made just small enough to put inside the card. 


I had in return from a card with a photo of a beach scene embroidery mounted on blue card was from Chris


August’s theme is Vintage - I wasn’t quite sure what to do for this but I had plenty of time but I worked on thoughts I had yesterday. I was keen to do something lacy, a doily or something like that when I came across an old crochet magazine, Simply Crochet, from 2013 and found this.
Some diamond shaped crochet pieces, but with larger yarn and hooks.  I scaled down with a no. 8 cotton Perle thread and a 2mm hook.  I bit fiddly but only took an hour and a half to make. It was a bit more squarish than diamond in spite of blocking it, but it fits on the card. On the background I used a small piece of reproduction 1930’s fabric from my stash, which by coincidence, has diamonds on it.  That speaks vintage to me. Just to show the scale, there’s a ruler beside the card.


I’ve made another crochet piece so I can put the second card together.  I’ve really been enjoying working on a teeny tiny scale.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts