24 January 2016

Catching Up

Last Sunday I went with friends to Farnham Maltings with a coach party from Ringwood.  The day was a bit grim and we encountered a snow shower on the way but it didn't settle, thank goodness. There was a sale of fabric from several traders and exhibitions of quilts from groups in the local area.

This was my haul from the sale.

Some yardage of fabrics, bundles of fat quarters, a tote bag kit, a wadding remnant and rotary cutter blades.

This was a view of some of the quilts there

Today was an equally grim day, drizzly and grey, so perfect weather for staying in and sewing.  I belong to the Contemporary Quilt group in the Quilters' Guild and each January have a journal quilt challenge, but as I only joined middle of last year I wasn't eligible to join the challenge.  I have a few ideas in mind but this little quilt lent itself to a technique that I did last year with the rainbow quilt I made last September.
Here's the stitching on the back before covering up with a backing fabric
I always think the backs of quilts look really interesting!

This is what the back looks like covered up
I thought the label was straight but ended up being wonky, but as the label has been Bondawebbed on there's not a lot I can do.

So at 8" X 10" it was a quilt made in a day from start to finish. I've got a few ideas for other journal quilts for forthcoming months so I'm looking forward to this challenge.

Blunder of the day. I made a wonky block from a smaller one made last year. Trimmed to 12.5", and layered with slightly larger wadding and backing. All well and good, but after quilting on my machine the whole lot shifted. Oh dear. Slithers of trimmed off fabric where them added to bring the block back to size. You'd never notice

I hope not, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!