16 January 2016

Farmers Wife 1930's Sampler - Part 5

It's been a little while since I made these blocks, the last post on this was back in November.  I thought that I would make a few more and got the book and some fabric out and get going on some more blocks.  I made two this afternoon which I could rotary cut and machine piece. The first one was #20 Caroline

It was easy to work out that 3" quarter square triangles and 1.5" half square triangles (finished size). I enjoyed the combination of these squares put together for this block.

A little more complex one was #29 Doris.  I printed out the template sheet for this block and measured the templates.  The four corners of this nine patch block were half square triangles again to finish 2" square (finished) so that was easy. The templates were used for the peak blocks and the centre square within a square block. I used the Sewfine glue pen to put the templates on top of the fabric. So as not to move the fabric I have a small A4 cutting mat that I could turn around to help cut out the shapes.  This block didn't turn out as well as I hoped. I think I need a bit more practice in using templates. I'm so used to just using ruler and cutter and I know the more complex blocks will need more accuracy.

But it's a start in getting back into the swing of making these lovely little blocks. More to come soon.

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!