04 December 2019

December

Above is my marker for this month.  As in previous months I've used a 12.5" mini quilt from I made 10 years ago as part of a British Quilt List challenge and this was a quick mosaic technique in which the backing, wadding and background fabrics were layered up and quilted by sewing on the pieces of Christmas fabrics.  Instead of binding the quilt was finished of with zigzag stitch and Christmassy ric rac stitched on top.

For this Christmas I decided to make an Advent wreath in crochet.  I've got a book called Crochet Wreathes and Garlands, written by Kate Eastwood and I have a collection of small cotton yarns which I have (rather appropriately) in a Christmas fabric bowl. I hope I can use what I've got without needing to get more colours.  The twiggy wreath came from Hobbycraft.

It's the 4th today so this is how the wreath looks so far

The first day I made holly leaves and berries.   This was followed by a couple of Ivy leaves for day 2. Day 3 had mistletoe leaves and berries and today I made 3 stars which added a bit of colour to the wreath.  Some things, like the leaves may be repeated at some stage because they can be put in here and there.  There will be some bunting with little flags across the top part of the wreath and by Christmas Day there will be a baby nestled at the bottom of the wreath.

Following some knitters/crocheters accounts on Instagram there's been a lot about yarn advents, which while I admire a lot of dyers making, it just adds to the amount of things that I have with no aim in mind to make from.  So I decided to use what I've got with the resources that I have and make it personal to me.  I'm looking forward to adding to the wreath, so much so that when I'm away for a couple of days I'm taking yarn, book and hook with me together with my knitting (on second sock of my cable socks now).

Yesterday I had the opportunity of going on a coach trip to Bath to see the Christmas market there.  I hadn't intended to go but I took the place of someone who unfortunately had to drop out. It was a good trip with friends and it was a pleasant time wandering around the city which I really enjoyed.
I think it might have been Jane Austin who said if one was tired of Bath they were tired of life (or something like that - I'm not great on literature!). Its always good to go there.

And we had to drink mulled wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts