05 June 2022

So Where Did May Go?

I started this blog post on 1st June, but only noticed yesterday (4 June) that I hadn't posted it!

✂✂✂✂

It’s 1st June


 The marker for this month is from my one and only attempt at Tunisian crochet, a pouch made a few years back from a Little Box of Crochet kit, which I dug out last week and made a lining for.



Feels it could be more useful with a lining inside.  I’ve finished off another pouch.  This was the from Instagram (hashtag) springmysteryproject by Stitching Notes and Nordic Crafter, which I started in April.  It just needed the bottom gusset ends joined together with binding inside and I finished of the embroidery. So this is how my pouch looks. It was mostly hand stitched with machine sewing the background fabric and the gusset.  A lovely project to make.



What else have I made in May? Well there there seems to be a lot of almost finishes, but not quite there yet. One finish I can’t show either until later this month. I could not resist joining the mystery as I enjoyed the two gnomes I made with the previous mystery.  There may be more gnomes in my life!
There were more Siblings Together blocks made at the beginning of June, though not a lot of other sewing has taken place.

A couple of knitting projects on the go. Another cardigan for Flo. This is a Sirdar pattern that I’ve used previously with King Cole yarns that I bought in a yarn sale.  Just the second front band and sewing up to do.

Another pair of socks for me.  Working on the Moonstruck socks by Kay Jones of the Bakery Bears (Patreon pattern) but waiting for the tutorial for picking up stitches but perhaps I should get on with it as I’ve worked with patterns on the sides of socks before.  I just want to get these done,

✂✂✂✂

5 June

Yesterday I started to "Fettle a Finish" (hopefully) on the black and pink quilt.  The top was done a while ago and I had to piece together the backing so set to yesterday afternoon.  Using 3 pink fabrics with the some of the remaining pink from making the quilt front together with a metre of black fabric.


As a reminder, this is what the front of the quilt looks like

I layered up, pinned and tacked the quilt this morning and have started the quilting.  I have some variegated pink thread and will use black in the bobbin. I will outline quilt the blocks.   I have enough of the main pink fabric in length to bind the sides and width to bind top and bottom.  I didn't have enough to do the continuous binding so sides, top and bottom binding it will have to be.

While on the sewing machine yesterday, I made a sew and flip pouch.  Haven't made one of those for ages.  All the strips are from the scrap drawer.


I also made a couple of handles for my big bag that I take to workshops and can almost get the kitchen sink into as the old handles were worn.  Good to give that bag a bit of TLC as its done a fair bit of service over the years.


As this weekend has been Platinum Jubilee weekend, I'd like to share a cushion cover that I made for a Golden Jubilee challenge 20 years ago, when I was a member of Quarterback Quilters.  I remember that there was some gold fabric to use in it.


I used it for shadow appliqué for the 50 in the centre, with gold colour organza on top

As well as hand embroidering the letters, in the purple border I free machined "God Save the Queen"
I must have used fusible webbing for the gold crowns in the corners.  They've kept attached quite well.
And the gold fabric was used for bunting in between the flying geese 'flags'.  There were also pieces of gold fabric in the Suffolk Puffs too.
I was pretty pleased how that turned out.  I didn't win the challenge and it doesn't see the light of day that often but I thought it good to share at this time.

I think that's that May and beginning of June.  I hope you've had and enjoyable long weekend this weekend.  Joining in the Mini Archie's Furtle Around the Blogosphere for May

Archie The Wonder Dog

2 comments:

  1. Gosh, you’ve been busy, especially with the lovely pouches! Hooray for finishes *waves pompoms* Thanks for furtling and happy fettling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, lovely projects and progress. Looking forward to your quilt sandwich coming together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts