01 February 2023

Reaching the End of January

 It seemed a long month, but here we are the end of January and it’s now February. There’s been a bit of sorting out, a little bit of sewing, a lot of knitting, but not much finished.

It was my daughter’s birthday last weekend and she asked for fingerless gloves, which were finished in time and really pleased with. She wanted a dark colour and I had some dark ruby red hand dye yarn which fitted the bill.

Coincidentally another present she received was a new handbag in a similar colour. As before I used the Fingerless or Not pattern by Snapper Knits. As she has smaller hands I kept with with 2.25mm needles throughout, with a smaller stitch count for the rib and increasing to the correct number after. Having made all these gloves, 5 pairs in total now I think I ought to make a pair for myself! 

Also on the needles is a Harvest cardigan, which was started the end of last month and not only is the body done, but it’s gained a sleeve. One more sleeve to go and it should be finished soon.

I’ve made a washcloth/dishcloth this month as part of the Year of Dishcloths by Garlene of the Kitchen Sink Shop.  I receive a newsletter from her each month and January’s pattern is called Speculaas, after the Dutch spiced cookie (there was even a recipe too). I made this from Sirdar Cotton Rich Aran yarn in a green.


So having finished the gloves and making good progress on the cardigan I have allowed myself a new cast on.  This the Lombard Tam, a kit and instructions from Lucy Locket Land at last year’s Yarndale (not in stock in her shop). The yarn used is Jamieson and Smith Spindrift wool, which is really grippy and just the thing for a FairIsle design.  I have found the first row after cast on has curled up, so I’m wondering whether to block that little bit of knitting or to sew down that cast on to the back.  I will block the hat when it’s finished anyhow so maybe it might settle after that…


As for sewing I’ve got back into the groove of making blocks for Siblings Together, though one didn’t go right (which I did correct) so recipient Kerry will get 3 blocks of log cabin hearts. It’s difficult to be random in fabric choices and rather than cut out the strip pieces it might have been better to cut out strips as I went, but it’s done and sent off.


And progress has been made on the quilt as you go quilt, 3 rows joined together but I have sewn at all in the past week. there’s enough purple fabric for the binding at the end.  The pic below shows some of the blocks joined into rows earlier this month.


And this is how it looks today

Quilt as you go is not the easiest of options as you can’t see the back when sewing up the strips, which have to be folded down and caught by the machine stitching on the front side.  I’ve tried to keep the back strip down by using the glue pen used for English paper piecing.

I’m back to doing ATCs and this month was My Favourite Place and it’s more about what happens in my favourite place, which recently has been my craft room.  So it features patchwork (from painted paper) which is also ‘quilted’ by putting the paper through an embossing plate on my Sizziz machine), a sewing machine, hexagons a button and a piece of cotton yarn. The one I’ve sent is on the right, but I usually make two so I have a visual record of what and how it’s made.  I did hesitate to send this for the swap, but just went for it.


So that’s my makes for this month.

3/2/23
Edit to this post:  I"ve had to unravel the cardigan - more in my next post - so here's a pic of my deconstructed cardi.




Joining in with Mini Archie's January Furtle Around the Blogosphere.

Archie The Wonder Dog


1 comment:

  1. It looks like you’ve used the 374 days of January to do lots of sewing and knitting, I suppose it’s the advantage of a month which is longer than the year it’s in! Thanks for Furtling and hooray for finishes *waves pompoms*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts