27 March 2023

Christmas in …. March?

 I’ve now finished off my cardigan, it’s had a wash and is now drying out with ‘sort of ‘ blocking. Laying out into shape between 2 towels. More about that at the end of the month Now that’s off the needles, time for something else.

With the stuff that needs doing before last Christmas and watching Advent vlogs, I was looking forward to the new Bakery Bears Advent pattern and wasn’t that keen it was a knitted Christmas stocking.  In our house David and I have never had stockings, although our children have and as they’ve left home theirs went with them.

Anyhow I had the yarn colours ready so I thought why not? I’d also printed the pattern, called Scrooges Stocking and it is a good sampler pattern of different techniques and the sections are named after parts of the A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

I started with the lace. I quite liked this pattern, which was followed by a green and cream braid (Estonian/Latvian?), then started a colourwork section with the yellow and cream.

Then I made an error. I picked up the pattern where two small charts that looked similar were on the same place on 2 following pages so when I finished the yellow and cream section above, I went on to knit the green and cream slip stitch pattern, whereas I should have knitted a Fair Isle pattern section. Not wanting to undo what I’ve done I knitted about half the slip stitch bit, put in the Fair Isle and knit the other half.  You may be confused but I think I’ve worked it out!

Here is how it looks so far (photo taken yesterday)


You will have noticed there is and extra row in the middle of the slip stitch section and I will include that in the next section of the slip stitches.

Despite this I’m quite enjoying the making as it’s something different, even though Christmas has past and it may get used for Christmases future, or may not get used at all, who knows. It’s nice to work on a bit of frippery with yarn that might of been hanging around in the stash.

As mentioned above, the yarn is from stash - Stylecraft Special DK in Spruce (green), and Dandelion (yellow) from other blanket projects along with a DK yarn in cream (not sure of the brand).  The pattern is a Patreon pattern from Bakery Bears, so not available for sale, just for patrons of the channel of which I’m a member.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts