06 November 2023

My Crochet Cardigan Adventure.

 I have been watching Kelly from Craft and a Cuppa on You Tube who demonstrates how to make a Granny Crochet cardigan from 2 hexagonal Granny stitch shapes and I was intrigued by how it works. She has a website here. A Granny square lays flat but a hexagon turns into a weird shape, but folded from one corner to the opposite creates and upside down L shape that can form the basis of half of the body and a sleeve of a cardigan. Of course 2 halves are made.

Kelly uses different coloured yarns for her demonstration but I used Hayfield Bonus Breeze, which I later found is discontinued. I used this as there are colour changes in the yarn and this was originally used to make a Granny Go Round pattern by Iron Lamb, a pattern I may revisit later.  The hexagons were quick to make to the size needed but I was realising that I was going to run out of yarn! 

The hexagons are joined by sewing the wide part of the L and making rows to create a back panel before adding length to the sleeves and the body.  As I said earlier I was running out of yarn and I had to find and alternative.  Looking online I didn’t find a solution, but going to a local yarn shop did.

I went to Unwind With Us, a fairly new wool shop a few miles away and found they had Stylecraft Batik Swirl, a yarn cake with different colours of the Batik yarn.  The lady suggested winding off balls of the different colours.  That didn’t take long to do and soon crocheting the added lengths for the sleeves and body length. Below are the little balls of Batik, plus a green that I already had in my stash.

Yesterday I got to a point where the cardigan was nearly finished and lastly making a band around the fronts, back and neck and 3 rows of Granny stitch finished that off.  I decided to leave the sleeves edges loose, but there are instructions for adding cuffs.  I intend to wear this to slip on of an evening when it’s a bit cooler, so I’m not worried about adding cuffs and a bit more on the front and I think it’ll do the job nicely.

I just had smidgens of the Hayfield yarn left.

And from the Batik Swirl I had this left
Here’s the finished cardigan 




I got out my selfie stick (used as a tripod) and my watch for to take the photo from my phone. That worked brilliantly.

I’m pleased with how it went and I’d like to make a scrappy version of the cardigan from my stash.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos on your insightful and impactful post. Grateful for the wisdom shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog has become a trusted companion in my quest for knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts