24 November 2023

100 Hexies 100 Days

 I took part in the 100 day challenge on Instagram from 1st August to 10 November, which amounted to 15 weeks of themes.  This was hosted by Maranelle (@sewfoxymama).  I last took part in this 4 years ago (2019, I was sure it was later!).  Although I have posted my progress the last few months but thought I’d do a run through of the hexies.

Week 1 was 5 days  


Theme: This is me.  Well I wear glasses, I knit, I read (and quilt), enjoy heritage railways and live near the Jurassic coast.

Week 2 - Summer Vibes


Ice Cream (I appliquéd this hexie), sea gull (though not in Breton jumpers), deck chair stripes, cocktail glasses (for the social outings) flowers (visiting gardens) butterflies, beach huts and parasols.

Week 3 - Notions


Sewing machine, iron, rotary cutters, scissors, safety pins, dressmakers pins, cotton reels.

Week 4 - Flower Power


Various floral fabrics used to fit the theme.

Week 5 - Rainbow


I arranged these hexies in an arc using the colours in rainbow order and I found a fabric to create a rainbow themed background, instead of the usual red Grunge fabric.

Week 6 -  Paw-some

I managed a few animal themed hexies, but a couple of “claw some” had to fill the gap. So a chicken and an owl made an appearance.

Week 7 - Love

I found some fabrics that I really love by “Love From Beth” (see the selvedge) so I included those with my hexie challenge that week.

Week 8 - I-Spy

I had some difficulty trying to think of what to make of this theme but found a couple of foxes in the white/black fabric, a tiny quote in the written fabric, an eye in part of the scissors.

Week 9 - Magic

I ran out of ideas with this, so went with how to turn a mini charm square into a hexie. That was magic.

Week 10 - Micro Mini 

This was when I started using a hexagon cut out and why I hadn’t thought of that before is a mystery to me. It did help with fussy cutting and I cut sections of this fabric, but it didn’t really fit the theme.

Micro house plants? 

Week 11 - Berry cute


I didn’t have many berries, so added some lemon slices.  It’s still fruit.

Week 12 - Celebrate.  

Party came to mind and I used the Cocktail Party by Lewis and Irene (it’s an old range).

Week 13 - Grateful.


I used a panel of labels that were given away at Festival of Quilts a few years ago. The stamped ones were from a stamp set by Flying Tiger.


Week 14 - Sweet and Salty 


This is now the penultimate week and I was really foxed by this theme.  Looking up Sweet and Salty turns out to refer to popcorn.  I decided I was going to go off topic and use these Tula Pink fabrics and these then reminded me of Refreshers, a sherbet sweet (below is an image).  Not so off topic after all.

Final week. Week 15 - Freestyle 


I used some Japanese themed fabrics for the last hexies.  There should have been 6 for this week, but 7 makes up a ‘flower’ of hexies.

I enjoyed this challenge and I have joined the hexies into ‘flowers’.  I have in mind to make another Kingfisher quilt, a design by Jodie of Tales of Cloth, but at the moment they are just patiently waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts