31 December 2023

Furtling in December

 I hope your Christmas went well and looking forward to the New Year. Just before Christmas David fell ill with a bad cold/flu (there’s a lot of it about)so ours was a quiet one, keeping away from people as much as possible.  At the beginning of this month the younger grandchildren, their parents and us met Father Christmas at Moors Valley Railway, which everyone enjoyed.

Anyway, you’re not here for Father Christmas, you want to know if I’ve been busy making stuff! I finished a present for Sarah. I’d already made fingerless gloves and deduced to make matching socks, with just a smidgeon of yarn left, literally playing yarn chicken and won. The toes are different, but the stripes on both socks matched really well.  The yarn is a King Cole Zig Zag.

Alongside this I was following The Bakery Bears’ Advent Calendar and making the Nutcracker socks, which was supposed to be made in 3 colours. I used 10. They were oddments or mini skeins that I had in stash. I’d like to try the pattern in a single colour and alternating the knit and purl rows for the stripes.


I really enjoyed the variety of stitches and colours.

I’ve picked up a simple bit of crochet using a ball of James C Brett Sssh, which is a slightly fluffy double knit yarn with colour changes.  A half square granny stitch shawl.


It is steadily growing.

For sewing I finished the cats cross stitch, which I’ve had from early 2000’s.   Not sure how or where I will display this, but the sewing is done.


I’ve started to stitch some hexie flowers onto 6.5” squares. These may take some time, but I’m in no hurry.


For Christmas David bought me a Lego kit of an Orchid. Since I received it I’ve built it in stages and recorded that on my Facebook page (which feeds through to my Instagram. 



And it’s starting to look orchid-like now. I hope to get this finished on New Year’s Day.

I was too impatient to get started on some embroidery, so I started on this.


I bought a pdf pattern from EmBeaRoidery on Etsy of my star sign (others are available). I’m sewing this on  Moda Grunge fabric. Should be interesting. This is next year’s project so I’m just one day ahead.

So wishing you all a Happy New Year for 2024



Joining in with Mini Archie’s December Furtle Around the Blogosphere.  Onwards to next year…

Archie The Wonder Dog

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! I hope David is feeling better and didn’t share his cold/flu with you? Those scrappy socks are gorgeous, I love the mix of striped sections and then plain yarn but patterned sections, that’s really effective. The yarn for the shawl looks lovely and cosy and I imagine you’re thrilled to have finished the stitching on the cat? Are you counting it as finished now or when it’s framed/made up into something? (Just wondering when to wave the pompoms!) Thanks for Furtling!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts