08 September 2011

Wimborne Model Village


I had a day off today, instead of Wednesday, so it was an out and about day.  I was visiting Boscombe in the morning where my Mum had her eye check at the opticians, I had a look at the glasses and have now ordered a couple of pairs of glasses, which I needed.  I was pleased to have that job done.  I had lunch with my Mum and Dad and they have a new Cavalier King Charles puppy, now just over 13 weeks old called Shandy.  He's got to the stage in puppiness, where he has that leggy look, where his body has yet to catch up with his legs. He was quietish so decided to photograph him on my mobile (I'd left my camera at home, that was silly).



From Mum & Dad's I went off to Hobbycraft to have a look around, but nothing really appealed that much, so from there over to Wimborne.  At Wimborne's Model Town, not far from the Minster, there is currently a Quilt exhibition by Happy Patchers in some of the buildings and marquees in the gardens there.  Again, not having my camera I took photos with my phone and as the weather was sunny it became difficult to see what I was taking, so sorry for the quality of the pictures here.

The village shows Wimborne in the 1950's and it is amazing the number of various shops at the time that you just don't see today.  It is sad in a way that there are now mega stores out of towns which are sucking the life out of town centres and not being the lively places they once were.

Model Wimborne Minster

Through the window of the Kings Head Hotel (below)


Some of the shops

Looking from the Square down towards the Minster

Another street full of shops

Looking from the end of the garden towards the model town
 Now onto the quilt show.  It was spread over 2 marquees and 2 rooms on the site with two group quilts to celebrate 25 years of the group in the cafe.  Some lovely quilts there included group challenges, one of which was Strips and Stripes and this striking quilt by Brenda Franklin of a Hidden Wells pattern.


There were some lovely Japanese Folded Patchwork Bags.


Above is an Autumn quilt made a 10 ladies in the group.
I also recognised my friend Brenda Moore's quilt there. 

So there were lots of nice things to see and the exhibition goes on to Sunday 11 September.  There is a link to last year's exhibition here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts