01 January 2014

New Year Sewing

How did your Christmas holiday go? Ours was quite busy with travel (and Christmas dinner) in Bristol with Sarah, bought her with us back to Poole.  On Boxing Day joining our sons with their families for a get together.  The few days after my brother in law and sister in law stayed.  Then back to work on Tuesday, so a busy few days.  We managed to visit Corfe Castle on Saturday and not surprisingly it rained.

From the castle a good view down to the village and a steam train from Swanage.
And after lunch a ride on the train down to Swanage.  In spite of the weather there were quite a few people on the beach and the promenade, though the sea looked really choppy.
This was in Swanage station, it's called Manston, one of the Battle of Britain class locos.

This diesel loco was at Corfe Castle station, a narrower than normal engine as it was used on the Hastings line. It was a good day out.

So for New Year


The weather remained grim, so as it was a day off there was only one thing to do - sew!


I intend to look forward so a new project for me is to make a fat quarter quilt.  In the summer I won this book in a raffle and at the time said that I kept picking it up to read. It has a grid system for cutting out different sized squares from layers of fat quarters, some of which are re-cut into half or quarter square triangles. I used 7 fat quarters and so far I've made 6 x 8.5" blocks. Please excuse the picture which was taken this evening, though bad light all day wouldn't have been conducive for good photos.  It was fun putting the various combinations together and happily sewing away while listening to the radio.


I still have plenty of pieces to make more blocks and have put the different sizes into bags ready for a sewing afternoon on Saturday.

I haven't posted these before, so here are the Christmas postcards that I received before they get taken down when the decorations are dismantled this weekend.



As ever a wonderful selection of cards and so varied in techniques.  This may have been the last swap for a while as I want to give postcard making a rest for a while and change to doing other things.

As its the first of the month, though a little late in the day I'm linking up with Lily's Quilts Fresh Sewing Day here



Lily's Quilts

3 comments:

  1. Well done for getting out and about, I've hardly left the house for the last week, such miserable weather!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blocks! Can't wait to see the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sue. Dropping by from Small Blog meet. Nice to meet a fellow UK quilter. I've only been quilting just over a year but am thoroughly enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts