31 August 2021

Furtling in August

 Time for my August round up of project done, in progress and new stuff started.  Keeping busy as usual.

So for finishes in August I’ve finished and given Cecily’s cardigan, which was a pattern from Hobbycraft (In the shop, it’s not a aisle online). It’s a pattern which has the body knitted in one piece, then the sleeves and all joined together at the armhole shaping to do the raglan decreases and bobbles on the yoke.  I bought buttons last week so it’s completely finished!

The yarn in Stylecraft Bambino print and I used the green and pink out of yarn in my stash.  Although I was unsure how the print looked with this pattern, it turned out really well and the yarn is lovely and soft and easily washable,

Another finish was a pair of double knit socks good for keeping feet warm in the colder autumn/winter evenings (my feet get very cold and can get cramp) and these seemed just right.  The pattern is part of my Patreon subscription to the Bakery Bears, whose podcasts I watch and there is a Knitting University they run as part of the subscription.  I used some Scheepjes Colour Crafter DK that I had in my stash in Peach and Grey which is a lovely soft squishy yarn and instead of bobbles (like in the cardigan) there are knots.  A lovely pattern and a pair of socks were made in no time at all, being DK and larger needles. 


I also finished off another pair of socks that have been lingering a bit, which is some West Yorkshire Spinners yarn in the special Yarndale colourway called Barbara. Love the coloured stripes.


I had a quilting finish this month too.  This was not on my finishing radar, but I purchased a new sewing machine (below) which was a result of needing to have my Juki machine serviced and my manual machine frustrating my sewing progress.  The Second machine was used in part exchange for the new machine, a Janome, so after 10 years it was a bit sad to say goodbye, but time to move on.

So I wanted to discover what the new Janome does and I got out a quilting samples that I had from going to a quilt retreat 3 years ago.  It has been lingering in my cupboard so I got it out and started sewing and it quickly became a finished item.

It didn’t have the appliqué hearts, but I added those on with the small amount of the blue fabric I had left.  It’s now gone to the local Project Linus as a baby quilt as it’s just 36” square.  I like how the nine patch pattern looks and I might make another.

There’s been some fabric and yarn purchases this month, when a stop off on our break in Derbyshire at the beginning of August meant a mooch around the Bramble Patch and fabric packs.


The after Crafternoon Treats podcast a few weeks back I went to Kathryn’s Etsy shop and these fell in my basket. All 4 ply yarn, a 100g skein of red wine colour and some 20g mini skeins.  I want to make a shawl with the red, not sure of my plans for the minis, I’ll just enjoy squishing them.
And last week a purchase from Wool Warehouse, some King Cole Bamboo Cotton yarn to make a top, along with some circular needles and something I’ve been wanting to get for a while, a tube for my knitting darning needles (from Clover). I find a tube like this is better to keep in my knitting accessory pouch than a needle case.  A ball of some Head Over Heels yarn made its way into my basket to make up the value to get free postage (but it was half price!)


As you can see below I have a new cast on, which I wanted the Bamboo Cotton for, which is this usual top (which I don’t know if I’ll get to wear this year) called the Summerdown top, which starts with two lace panels, which run along the sleeves from shoulder to end of the sleeve from which stitches are picked up and knitted down.  This’ll be an adventure, so we’ll see how it goes.




And a bit of secret crochet, so just a sneaky peek, lots of legs,  but it’s not an octopus 🐙! 


A discovery this month, which I wrote about last week of the kaleidoscope block cut out and ready to sew which I found in my cupboard. I’ll get the other 3 blocks done along with the 5 already made and see how I arrange those.


I think I’ve surprised myself with what I’ve managed to get done this month.

I’m linking up with Mini Archie’s monthly Furtle around the Blogosphere here

And lastly, just to let you know if you’re in the area that Spectrum of Stitch is taking place at the Gallery Upstairs at Upton Country Park from 2 - 13 September.  I’ve got 4 items in the exhibition and hope to have a look next week. 




2 comments:

  1. A very productive month by the looks of it! I am still in awe of anyone who can knit socks! And I love the quilt block, it's promising a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what a month! I bet Cecile looks gorgeous in her new cardi and I’m intrigued by the construction of the top for you - I’m going to enjoy watching that grow! The quilt is gorgeous and is going to make a wee one feel cosy and safe when they need it most. And hooray for a new machine and lovely yarn as well as finishes! *waves pompoms* Thanks for Furtling!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts