15 August 2021

Granny Square Day

 On Instagram this week have been posts about Granny Square Day, which is today, 15August, and is promoted by Simply Crochet Magazine.  On the link there are several free crochet Granny Square patterns if you scroll down to page.  To explain what a Granny square is it is traditionally clusters of 3 treble sitiches, worked in the round.  There can be several joined together to make a larger piece or can be just one large square and have been made to use up scraps of yarn, usually wool, cotton or acrylic.  They can be made with one colour or several. There are now a plethora of designs based on the humble Granny Square, which Simply Crochet demonstrates.

I chose the one below to make, which is called Granny Florence (no. 21, from the above link).


It seems appropriate to me as my Great Grandmother was called Florence, and one of my granddaughters is Florence too.  I crocheted this square from some Ricorumi cotton yarn in my stash and didn’t take long to do.

 But sometimes I’ve just seen something and have to have a go and from this I have several Grannies in different yarns, colours and a few different shapes.


Just look at those, I’ve not even finished the ends!

Last year I made the Aria blanket, designed by Lucy of Attic 24, which I really loved making and gave to my Mum for her birthday last year.  Making this did make me think of my own Granny (or Nan, as I called her), who used to make a lot of Granny Square blankets, usually a large square and to me it was lovely to have that connection. 


From the yarn that was left I made my own smaller Aria, as there is always a lot of yarn left in the pack but had to substitute a few colours as the yarn started to run out but it was fun putting together the colour combinations from what I had left! It now sits over the back of the sofa in the living room and the co,ours are just lovely.  The kit and the pattern are in a pack from Wool Warehouse.  This September there will be a new design and yarn pack designed by Lucy in Christmas colours of which there has been sneak peeks of the project, which looks really lovely, so I think I might have to have a go at that when it’s released.


If you want to have a go at a Granny Square there is a tutorial here, grab some yarn and a hook.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts