26 April 2023

End of an Era

 My membership with the Quilters’ Guild has not been renewed this year.  I’ve been a member for well over 20 years and it has been a hard decision to make, but since the pandemic I’ve not used the Guild as much and I don’t feel as involved as I’ve done before. So it was time to leave.

The Guild has done much in the past to bring involve people in quilting and I have enjoyed going to a few of the AGM’s in Torquay, Portsmouth and the last one I went to in Nottingham.  I‘ve been to regional events in Region 4 in Devon and Dorset and Region 14 when I lived in Yorkshire.  I was able to visit the Quilt Museum in York a few times when I lived in Yorkshire. I also served as regional treasurer for 4 years, so I did my bit on the committee too, so I got a lot out of my membership.

There is no doubt that the pandemic has changed a lot of things and they just aren’t the same any more and  people change too.  I feel less engaged in quilting now as other crafts have come into my retirement life. A few years back I would have enjoyed my trips to Birmingham to the Festival of Quilts, but last year’s visit fell a bit flat for me and it didn’t appear to have the same atmosphere as before. 

Here are a few pics of mini quilts for challenges I’ve done over the years (it wasn’t that many)

Beside the Seaside in 2013 for the Coast challenge in 2013

This Bargello quilt was part of a display of mini quilts at the Torquay AGM in 2003 (gosh, 20 years ago!)

Green Chinese coins quilt for the regional challenge in 2014

A Quilter’s Library was the theme for the AGM challenge in 2003 in Torquay. I think that should have been a quilter’s dilemma looking at it now.  I’m still pleased with the tiny quilts in the thought bubble here, so many thoughts whirling round in her head.

I am hoping that this won’t be the last time I am involved with the Guild, but after much thinking it is the right thing to do for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts