01 September 2013

Fresh Sewing Day and a visit to Portsmouth

September already! August has been a busy month even though I've not been working. In August I've (almost) finished my Welcome to Hollywood quilt, made a hanging for my machine hoops, and lots of other bits and bobs.
Welcome to Hollywood



Hoop storage


Ahem...just a reminder

My thread bin, very useful with all those threads from machine embroidery
That's without the going out and about last month, to Festival of Quilts, trip to Weymouth on the train, Kingston Lacy, Kingston Maurward and an evening of fireworks in Poole, but that's what holidays (especially extended holiday in my own backyard!) are all about.  And there's visitors too - Brian the dog came to stay last weekend and this weekend our daughter Sarah came to stay.


Yesterday to escape the hordes coming to Bournemouth for the Air Festival we went to Portsmouth to the Royal Armories at Fort Nelson, which is on Portsdown Hill overlooking the city.  This has exhibits of big guns
 Even some really ornate big guns (and a mortar, above)

And some silliness - I think these are meant for the kids - lol!

Then we went to Gunwharf Quays, an outlet centre in Portsmouth and went up the Spinnaker Tower.
What a view!  At the bottom of the photo is the train station in the harbour, the big ship behind that is HMS Warrior in the Historic Dockyard
Looking in the opposite direction is the Isle of Wight ferry (the Island is in the background). This docks around the the left of the photo.

Theres a glass floor too.  Guess to had to have a go at standing on it (along with Sarah)


Sorry about the carrier bag - that was not ours!!  I had edited that out in i-photo but it somehow has crept back in.

We had tea and more views on the next floor
And go up to the Crows Nest at the top
A fake bird at the top to stop any birds resting there. After seeing the tower quite a few times, we can say we've now been up it!

Anyway I should say that I've linked up with Fresh Sewing Day on Lilys Quilts, which you can find  here


Mid September will see me returning to work, however before then I've got this week at home to get more sewing done and getting ready for a going away holiday the following week.  Just hoping this wonderful sunny weather will keep going for a while.

3 comments:

  1. Your quilt is really nice! In need a reminder about the iron! I am forever leaving it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the hoops pockets are a great idea.

    from spinniker. tower you can almost see my mum's house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful views. Spinnaker Tower looks amazing. You wouldn't catch me on that glass floor though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts