17 July 2018

One Finish and One Start

I'm pleased to say that I've finished something (well two really, but that's secret sewing which I can't show this time).  I have been working on a Kantha stitchery which I've had since last October when a friend bought me a kit.  This is the vase of irises from Fenland Textile Studio.  After the talk and workshop in which I made a hare picture, here, last year.


All washed and pressed ready to go into a frame, when I get one, so the taking stitches have been left in around the perimeter of the embroidery.  It's been a bit of slow stitching to take with me to Bourne Quilters and to Seahorse Quilting's sew and natter over the past months.  I finished this off when sitting out in the garden when its been to hot to sew indoors.

But I didn't have to look too far for another slow stitching project to do as I'd been seeing Tales of Cloth's blog and the sew a long called the Kingfisher Quilt.  These are hexagon flowers sewn onto diamond shaped background pieces.  I've kept to neutral low volume background fabrics and going through scraps to cut 2.5" squares for hexagons with 1" sides.  I have a good stock of paper shapes which I've mainly got from Lina Patchworks that are made of a heavy paper and can be used over again.

The first three I did earlier yesterday


By yesterday afternoon I did two more. The photo above was taken in the evening so its a bit darker.

I have got a little box with hexie shapes already prepared together with thread and scissors, a 2.5" square ruler and a thimble.  I had tacked the fabric to the papers, however I've now taken to using a fabric glue pen which is a lot quicker and just holds until I've sewn the shapes together and is easy to remove the paper after.


Over the years I have had a sore middle finger on my right hand with hand sewing and I've been trying various thimbles, pads, sticky tape, whatever.  I have small hands but I seem to fall between small and medium sizes and it's been difficult to get the one. This is a Clover soft plastic one in a small size which I bought a few years ago but tried this again on Sunday and it's comfortable!  So I am converted to this! I can't remember where I bought it from but I know that Hobbycraft sell quite a few Clover sewing accessories.  I may get another one in case this gets lost.


As well as machine sewn items its always good to have some hand sewing on hand and with the hot weather at present this project just fits the bill nicely.

Lets see how far I get with this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts