30 April 2019

Furtling Around in April

Another month finishes and its amazing how this year is hurtling by.  Very Spring-like here in Dorset with the sunny weather the past few days (though I believe that's set to change as this week goes on).

We've been kept busy with a few days trip away, which I wrote about here and here, David has done several signalling turns at Swanage Railway and I've been sewing and knitting as usual.

This month I made a Twiddle Muff for our local knit and natter group to pass on to the local doctor's surgery



  I used one ball of variegated double knit yarn together with oddments of other dk yarns doubled so it knitted up as chunky.  I put stripes of different yarn as texture, some stitch patterns and added a line of red crochet bobbles.  I found a couple of flowers - one knitted (pink) and crochet (blue) and some buttons.  It was enjoyable to knit, not worrying about following a pattern.

I was also quick off the mark with making my Siblings Together block this month, called Birch Trees

I enjoyed making the first one, then went ahead and made another - it was good for using up strippy scraps.

I finished off my socks, which I wrote in my last post, the first time I knitted stripes and it worked out well, still have some smidgens of the yarns left (but not enough to do anything with!



I made a pouch from some screen printed fabric that was in my goody bag from the Sewing Shindig last year.  I had some purple print which went well with it for the lining.  This will go towards my charity makes.
And I also made a fabric postcard for the Wonky House challenge in the UKQU postcard swap group - now awaiting an address to send to.



Yesterday I decided to make a skirt.  I have the fabric which I bought last year and a pattern for a plain A-line skirt. I've cut the pieces out and put the interfacing on the waist facing (it hasn't got a waistband).  Having now got an invisible zip I hope I can put that together tomorrow. The last skirt I made had a pocket, which I drafted myself, so this one will have that feature too.

I am hoping that for May that I can sew something everyday and record on Instagram with the hashtag #seweverydayinmay but I'm not that organised.  I know I can't do Me Made May as I'm not usually a garment sewer, but if I could at least sew a few stitches, join a few hexies, some hand or machine sewing it will all count.  I will then put a round up of my achievements each week on my blog so those who don't do social media won't miss out.  See how it goes.

Joining with Archie the Wonder Dog for the monthly Furtle Around the Blogosphere.

Archie The Wonder Dog

4 comments:

  1. I love all your projects and makes but I especially love your muff. So pretty and funky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The twiddle muff and your knitted socks are so lovely!! The Birch Trees blocks look like a lot of fun. The fabric postcard looks adorable, love the background fabric. The purple lining for your bag could not be more perfect.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects and some nice finishes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your socks! What a super way to use up oddments of yarn that twiddle muff is! You've had some super finishes and progress this month--brava! *applauds*
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts