27 January 2020

A quilt, a postcard and a pouch

The end of last week and the weekend was dull, cold and sometimes wet, which was a complete contrast to the bright sunny weather the weekend before.  A lot of time has been spent crafting and whilst I managed some knitting and crochet in the evenings, I have been sewing too.

One of the items on my Finish A Long list was finished!  This was a strippy scrappy quilt (the spell check wants to keep changing to 'stroppy'!  Anyway, I found 2 large pieces of wadding to sew together to make one piece large enough for the quilt and a backing fabric big enough too, so no excuses.  I finished off an old can of spray baste on this quilt too, so I'm pleased to use things up to progress the quilt.  I used a variegated thread and wiggly stitch to the widest width and a longer length to quilt it and I wasn't fussed about precise lines so long as I quilted the length and width of the quilt. Here's detail below.

I machined the binding on so I could hem that when at Bourne Quilters on Thursday evening.  I continued on Saturday and labelled the quilt too. Below is the back of the quilt and the front below that.  The quilt finished at 36.5" square and will go the the local Project Linus group.  So that's the first finish of 2020!


Going back a couple of weeks and a new postcard swap was announced on UKQU Facebook page called 'to infinity and beyond'.  I found some suitably starry, space-y looking fabric and some silvery sparkly fabric and thought planet or moon.


I used a porthole technique to face the hole under which I put a padded moon underneath.  With the addition of sparkly thread and star stitches from my sewing machine this spoke of space too me. This was posted off end of last week to Devon.  Today I received this postcard from Adelle, who really did her homework and based it on an image of a black hole from an image captured by a network of radio telescopes in April last year.


Lastly a pouch.  I've made several pouches but the first time making this Lola pouch by Svetlana Sotak, of Sotak Handmade blog, which is a paid pattern.  I've seen several before on Instagram and wanted to have a go, so yesterday I pulled out some purple fabrics, to match the zip that I had.  I got as far as inserting the zip and so this morning I finished with the binding.  

The pattern comes in two sizes and I made the small size.  It is very detailed and has step by step photos and I really enjoyed making it.  I feel there could be more of these made, it's that brilliant.  Anyway here is the pouch.




The only thing I added to this was the small pocket in the lining because there was a small piece of the purple circles fabric just big enough to put one in.  I like the binding around the top of the pouch which really gives it a good finish.

So my dull, wet weekend wasn't wasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts